The countdown has begun! Christmas is closer than you think and now the buying frenzy begins. Like millions of people who wish to avoid the longs lines at stores, and who just like shopping from the comfort of their home, you do most of your shopping online. View merchandise, add to cart, buy and you’re done!
Great. Now you just wait for your merchandise to be sent to you.
But have you considered what could happen if your merchandise is delivered to your home and you’re not there? Well we have and we have some tips to help protect your purchases from those who might want to take advantage of your shopping for themselves:
- See if the store has the ability to allow you to track your purchases. If so, do so and often until you receive the merchandise. Contact the store immediately if not received when indicated.
- None of the package delivery companies deliver on weekends. If you know you will not be at home, consider having your items shipped to your place of employment or to a trusted neighbor or friend.
- Try and request a delivery time when you know you will be home if possible.
- Ask the package delivery company to put your purchases somewhere they cannot be seen from the street, e.g. back porch, behind the back door, etc.
- See if you can arrange to pick up your items at the package delivery company’s place of operations.
- Request a signature upon delivery. This makes it harder on you but also harder on those who would want to steal your merchandise.
- When you do receive your merchandise examine it immediately. If you believe it’s been tampered with, contact the store immediately.
Holiday times need to be stress free, but you also need to know that scammers will be in full force. In this time of good will and giving, just be sure the good will and giving is done for those you care about and not for some stranger who sees the brown boxes in front of your home and thinks Christmas has come early for him!