Former Fayette Woman cover girl Peggy Thomas and her husband Joe moved often in the military and found family in neighbors and new friends. One special friend was “Grandma Phyllis.” This recipe doubles easily for additional servings.
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 1 cup cracker crumbs
- ½ cup milk (can substitute almond or soy milk)
- SAUCE INGREDIENTS:
- 3 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. vinegar (Branch & Vine Mission Fig Balsamic is yummy here)
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ tsp. chili powder
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup ketchup
- Mix the meatloaf ingredients in a large bowl and season to taste.
- Spread the meat evenly in the bottom of a brownie pan.
- Mix the sauce ingredients until the sugar dissolves, then spread over the top of the meat.
- Bake covered at 350° for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for an additional 30 minutes or until meat is no longer pink.
NOTE: This is a great dish to make ahead. You can double or triple the recipe, shape the loaves, and place them on a lightly greased cookie sheet in the freezer. Once solid, store them in zip lock bags; when you need a quick dinner, make the sauce and put them in the oven frozen. Increase cooking time to 40 minutes covered, 30 minutes uncovered.