Who knew? Some of your favorite Mexican dishes offer an array of cancer fighting properties! This healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup is a tasty and healthy dinner option.
Cancer survivors went on a tour of Mexico, exploring native foods and their nutritional benefits, at a nutrition workshop offered at Piedmont Fayette Hospital’s Cancer Wellness center in January, 2011. Guided by personal chef Nancy Jaworski, owner of My Chef Nancy, the group learned how to “Fight Cancer With a Fiesty Fiesta.”
Too good to confine to a one-night stand, Fayette Woman brings you Chef Nancy’s collection of healthy Mexican recipes.
For information about upcoming Cancer Wellness classes and events visit Piedmont Healthcare online.
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 - 15 oz. can diced tomatoes, do not drain
- 1 Qt Chicken broth-organic preferred
- 2 - 15 oz. cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 - 15 oz. can Rotel Hot or Mild tomatoes in juice
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 chicken breast, boneless, skinless, poached and diced
- ½ cup 2% fat Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tortillas, sliced (corn or whole wheat)
- 3 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 2 Tbsp Lime juice
- Saute onion in olive oil until soft.
- Combine tomatoes, broth, beans and cumin.
- Bring up to a boil over medium/high heat.
- Simmer for 15 minutes to combine flavors.
- Add chicken to warm through.
- Add cilantro and lime juice.
- Cut tortillas in thin strips. Place on a cookie sheet and spray with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle lightly with salt.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 400 degrees F or until the strips are crisp and golden brown.
- Place soup in bowls, tip with cheddar cheese and some crisped tortilla strips.