DIY home improvement projects continue to be popular. After all, it can save money and be very satisfying. However if they are done wrong, they can do the opposite which is why not all projects should be DIY.
Which makes us ask the question DYI or call the pros?
Home improvement experts recommend that you ask yourself these 9 questions:
• Skill? I really have the skills and knowledge to take on this project?
• Quality? Can I do a quality job?
• Time? Do I have the time to do this?
• Reality Check? Will I actually finish the project?
• Help? Can I do this by myself?
• Training? If the project requires permits, can I get them on my own?
• Tools? Do I have the right tools?
• Cost? What’s the real cost of doing it myself?
• Safety? Is it safe for me to do this?
Cosmetic changes such as painting, putting up wallpaper or paneling, and installing flooring are ideal DIY projects – if you can answer yes to most of these questions. But structural changes – foundation or system changes, major framing – are best left to the pros.
And if you answer no to most of these questions, call a professional. The money you spend on expert help will save you time, hassle, money and regret in the long run. It is better to spend a little extra money with the help that you need rather than spending too much money because you don’t know what you’re doing.
Courtesy of Family Features