Surprise! I won second place for my age group in the 5K at AVPride‘s Hawaiian Run Thingy! It was a super fun event and I finally got to try a Luau Burger from Truett’s. It is NOT your typical fast food burger. It takes like it came off the grill in your backyard – but better! Speaking of better…
Better Than Before
I’m currently reading and enjoying the book, Better Than Before: Mastering the Habits of Our Everyday Lives by Gretchen Rubin (Crown, 2015). Borrow a copy from your local library or, even better, purchase a copy. Rubin’s book is easy to read and I hope it will jump start you to want to make meaningful change in your lives. In a nutshell, Rubin has found that most people want to cultivate habits that enhance what she calls the “Essential Seven.”
- Eat and drink more healthfully.
- Exercise regularly.
- Save, spend, and earn wisely.
- Rest, relax, and enjoy.
- Accomplish more, stop procrastinating.
- Simplify, clear, clean, and organize.
- Engage more deeply in relationships – with other people, with God, with the world.
Prompted by FW cover girl Maggie Laton, I drew a mind map last year of what the word “happiness” meant to me. All of the “Essential Seven” appeared on my mind map in one form or another, so I think Rubin is on to something. As you know, last year I began to seriously work on #1-2 and I’m still going strong at -102 lbs. (Habits aren’t something you develop to achieve a goal and then quit. They become – or should become – part of your life.) Next I want to focus on #6, because I think #6 will make #4-5, & 7 easier for me.
If any of the “Essential Seven” speak to you, then you’ll want to come with me on this journey to becoming better than before. Your first step? Take the quiz to determine your disposition or, as Rubin calls them, tendencies. (FYI – I thought I was more of an Obliger, but my husband was adamant that I was more of a Rebel. Turns out he was right.) The reason you should take the quiz is that you want to try to work with your nature, not against it.
Next week we’ll talk about the pillars of habits. Until then, read the book!
Recipe Spotnight: Chicken Sausage Slawdog
- 4 pre-cooked sweet Italian style chicken sausages (I use al fresco Sweet Italian Style Chicken Sausage.)
- 1 bag of shredded cole slaw mix
- ¼ cup minced shallots
- 1 tbsp. low-fat mayo
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- ¼ tsp. apple cider vinegar
- ⅛ tsp. sugar
- 4 whole-wheat hot dog buns
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Combine 1 cup cole slaw mix with shallots. Whisk together mayo, mustard, vinegar, and sugar. Add to slaw and toss well.
- Grill sausages, turning as needed, until grill marks appear and sausages are heated through.
- Grill buns until lightly toasted.
- Place sausages in buns. Top each with ¼ cup slaw.