This slow cooker recipe, Salsa Chicken, which will cook while you turn your attention elsewhere, is very versatile; add any of your favorite taco additions to this meal. We normally serve it over rice, but you can fill tacos, tortillas or even serve it over a salad. I have always found that the slow cooker is wonderful, but you really have to watch that you don’t cook food too long or it will dry out. Bone-in chicken really helps alleviate this problem.
Author: Nancy Jaworski
Recipe type: Main
- 4 bone-in chicken breasts, skin off
- 3 cups salsa (your favorite or homemade)
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- lime, juiced
- 1 avocado, pitted and diced
- 2 cups baby spinach
- Chopped cilantro (optional)
- 4 cups cooked rice
- (Mexican or Spanish rice is good with this)
- Place chicken breasts in the bottom of your slow cooker, cover it with salsa. Place the slow cooker on low for 5 hours. Check the chicken; when cooked through, remove it, remove the meat from the bone, and cut into large chunks. Add black beans to salsa along with the lime juice and baby spinach. Return chicken to pan, stir and continue cooking for about hour or so, while you make your rice. Place the chicken and sauce over the rice and scatter avocado and cilantro over each plate.