Anyone who has ever attempted long distance running knows you need to nourish and sustain the force that takes you to the end in the form of water, sports drinks, and energy snacks. All of these things help you perform more consistently and recover faster.
The main focus is hydration pre-race, during the race, and post-race. You need to replace water you’re losing, along with electrolytes like sodium. Listen to your body; it will tell you whether you’re consuming too much or too little nourishment.
In addition, energy food is essential to providing staying power to your body. Our homemade energy treats that you can make for race day will keep you going!
This is an easy-to-make dough that includes things in your pantry right now! This recipe is adapted from Allrecipes.com.
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats (not instant)
- ½ cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup ground flaxseed
- ½ cup crunchy natural peanut butter
- 3 Tbsp. honey
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 good pinch of sea salt
- Combine everything in a bowl or process in a food processor.
- Using a small scoop or super clean hands, create about 18 balls.
- A heaping tablespoon is about the size of each.