During the gloomy days of January, this soup takes me away to a beach in Mexico, if only for a few minutes.
Chicken Chili Verde
Author: My Chef Nancy Jaworski
- 14 fresh tomatillos (about 3 lb), husks removed and rinsed
- 6 cups chicken stock (broth, of course homemade is best!)
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 poblano peppers, seeded and deveined, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 can navy beans or pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 Tbsp. lime juice
- Jalapeno, minced (optional)
- In a large skillet, sauté onions and poblano peppers in oil until tender. Add garlic, cumin, chili powder and sauté another 4 minutes.
- Remove hard stem portion of each tomatillo and cut each into eighths. Place in food processor and pulse until the tomatillos are like a chunky salsa.
- Turn on slow cooker to Low, add onions mixture and processed tomatillos to slow cooker along with 6 cups of chicken stock. Cook for 4-6 hours on Low or 3 hours on High. Add beans, chicken and cilantro, stir. Cook for another 1-2 hours on Low.
- Add lime juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add jalapeno if you want it a little spicier.
- Serve with avocado slices, shredded jack cheese, and additional chopped cilantro. A few baked tortilla chips add a nice crunch too!