My mother-in-law is an ex career army wife who raised 6 children and loves to entertain. She makes these Asparagus Roll-ups ahead of time up to the baking part, freezes them on a cookie sheet, then stores them in the freezer until guests come over and she can pop just the right amount in the oven. Delicious!
- As served at the party:
- 20 Spears Asparagus
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 8 oz. blue cheese (get the best you can afford for best flavor)
- 1 package filo dough
- 2 sticks butter
- Preheat oven to 350.
- To prepare the asparagus.. snap off the end of one stalk, then cut the rest so they are the same length.
- Mix cream cheese and blue cheese.
- Melt the butter.
- Carefully unroll the filo sheets and cut in half.
- Brush the first sheet with a thin layer of butter.
- Spread the cheese mixture on an asparagus stalk, then roll it carefully in the dough.
- Leave a bit of asparagus showing on each end.
- Place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment, then brush more butter on the outside of the roll. Continue until you run out of ingredients.
- Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes or until brown.
- Let cool slightly then enjoy!
- They look beautiful on a platter.
Mom’s original recipe:
Substitute filo dough for a loaf of white bread; crusts removed and bread rolled flat. Spread the filling directly on the bread, then roll each asparagus spear diagonally in the bread. Cut into one inch slices- the end pieces might be longer. Dip each piece in melted butter, then place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment. Now, either freeze on the cookie sheet until hard and store in a zipper bag until you need them, or bake at 350? for 15-20 minutes or until brown. This mak