This Ancient Grain Salad is a great side dish to any summer meal. It also makes a great appetizer or snack.
Ancient Grain Salad
Recipe type: Entree
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- Dash salt (to taste)
- 3 cups warm cooked kamut grain (about 1 ½ cups dry)
- ½ cup coarsely chopped pecans
- ⅓ cup diced green onions, plus 1 tablespoon
- ⅓ cup thin-sliced celery
- 1 cup corn, grill if preferred
- 2 cups chopped watermelon
- Blend oil, maple syrup, lemon juice, lemon zest, and salt in a small bowl.
- Add kamut and nuts.
- Stir thoroughly and let sit until cooled.
- Assemble salad in a tall, glass bowl: Place ⅓ of the kamut at the bottom, topped by half each of the onions and celery, corn, and watermelon.
- Add the last ⅓ of the kamut to the top and sprinkle with the remaining 1 Tablespoon of diced green onion.
- Present as a layered salad and toss just before serving.