A lush, lovely, weed-free lawn can be hassle-free to maintain by yourself, with no need to hire an expensive lawn service or give up all your weekends.
By utilizing a few key tips from Bayer Advanced lawn and garden expert Lance Walheim, author of “Lawn Care for Dummies,” along with the latest advancements in lawn care technology, achieving a beautiful lawn at an affordable cost can be easy. Here’s 5 cheap tips for a great lawn for this Spring and beyond.
- Use the right mower. Mulching mowers cut grass into tiny pieces, which quickly break down. The grass biodegrades, adding nutrients and organic matter to the soil. This reduces the need for fertilizer or disposal of clippings.
- Mow at proper heights. Most southern lawns should be cut taller than you think. Taller grass means deeper roots and a more resilient lawn. Since proper grass heights can vary depending on your location, contact your county extension office for regional mowing height recommendations based on your turf type.
- Use gadgets to water effectively. Watering deeply and infrequently allows lawns to partially dry out between watering. New tech, such as rain shutoffs, moisture sensors and smart controllers can further save time, water and money.
- Fertilize properly. Feeding too early or too late weakens lawns and often makes them more susceptible to diseases. Overfeeding promotes insects and disease, and can cause pollution of local waters. Under-fertilizing can result in a lousy-looking lawn and more weeds.
- Apply new weed control technology. There have been major breakthroughs recently in weed control, such as Bayer Advanced 3-in-1 Weed & Feed for Southern Lawns, which kills weeds, feeds the lawn and prevents weeds, including crabgrass, for up to six months. It’s like three products in one, so you don’t have to buy and apply multiple weed control products throughout the season. For more information, visit bayeradvanced.com/weedandfeed.