When it comes to fashion, making the transition from late summer to early fall can be tricky. This month we’ve listed 25 mix and match outfits stemming from just five tried-and-true closet essentials. Whether you are looking to save some time, or you feel like you’re tapped out of outfit ideas, these simple fashion formulas will help you to make the most of the wardrobe basics you already own.
- Denim Jacket Denim jackets are truly timeless. If you don’t already have this staple stocked in your closet, look for one that is classic blue in color and has a medium fabric weight. The most flattering (and versatile) cut is a semi-fitted jacket that hits below the waist but above the hips.
- Wear it over a chambray shirt, and pair with white denim and a cluster necklace (Hint: Be sure there is a contrast between the two different shades of denim)
- Put it on over a flirty dress, or patterned romper, and pair with strappy heels.
- Button it up and belt it. Add a basic tee, and pair it with a colorful pant or skirt.
- Tuck it into a flowy skater skirt and wear with converse shoes.
- Pop the collar, and layer it under another jacket and colored skinny jeans.
- Basic Tee You can’t get much simpler than a basic tee, but if you upgrade your T-shirt’s plain Jane look, you will be surprised how many different outfits can be created. Plus, any type of tee will work (think: plain white, striped, and vintage/graphic).
- Tuck tightly into a high-waisted skirt. For example, you could tuck a grey, vintage rock band tee into a black leather skirt.
- Pair a v-neck tee with colored, mid-rise chinos. Sport the tee in a half-tuck, and accessorize with a belt.
- Wear oversized tees with skinny jeans and long layered necklaces. Add a long sleeveless vest.
- Tie the tee in a side-tie, then wear it with a maxi skirt and statement necklace.
- Wear it underneath a blazer, with skinny jeans and nude heels.
- Lightweight Scarf Scarves are an easy way to add a pop of color, or a splash of pattern, to just about any outfit. Lightweight scarves are the most versatile for late summer/early fall fashions. Choose a scarf that contrasts with (or compliments) the color pallate you typically wear.
- Tie a patterned scarf like a bandit and pair with an oversized tee, jeans, and booties or flats.
- Go for a classic “French” look with a skinny scarf tied to the side and worn with a fitted tee.
- Drape it underneath the lapel of a blazer for a sophisticated look.
- Twist a patterned scarf into three knots, and then tie the ends together behind your head like a necklace. Wear it under the collar of a crisp white button-up shirt.
- Tie a colorful scarf in a sweet bow, and pair with a silk top, cardigan, and skirt.
- Chambray Shirt Chambray shirts have climbed the charts and they are now one of the most widely used fashion pieces. If you don’t already own a chambray shirt, choose a lightweight, semi-fitted cotton shirt that is medium blue in color.
- Pair with white, or colored jeans, a patterned scarf, and flats.
- Roll up the sleeves and layer it underneath a wrap or empire waist dress.
- Tuck it into a black lace pencil skirt, or solid maxi skirt.
- Layer underneath a sweater, and let the collar and sleeves pop out.
- Wear it buttoned up and belted over a solid spaghetti strap dress.
- White Denim Pants Women in just about any setting – from workweek to weekend – can style this versatile pant and make it work for them. White denim can be dressed up or down, and there are different cuts to flatter different body shapes.
- Try white-on-white with a solid white blouse. Add metallic accents and heels.
- Keep things casual by pairing your white pants with a grey tee, layered gold necklaces, and leather sandals.
- Create a colorful look by pairing the pants with a turqiouse moto jacket, a printed pastel top, and nude heels.
- Make a modern and sophisticated statement by wearing white skinny jeans, a sleeveless black faux leather top, and black pointy-toe heels..
- Go for a nautical look with a navy-and-white striped tee, a light denim jacket, and matte black flats.
Learning how to mix and match your closet essentials can be a timesaver, and also be a fun challenge. Before summer ends, be sure to pull out these five basics and see how many ensembles you can create for the month to come.